- There are more than 100 types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), of which at least 13 are cancer causing (also known as high risk type). HPV can also cause cancers of the anus, vulva, vagina, penis, throat and tongue.
- Cervical cancer is caused by sexually acquired infection with high risk HPV.
- Even with the most optimistic predictions of HPV vaccination use, it is expected that cervical cancer death will rise 25% over next 10 years.
- Lichen Sclerosus affects 1 in 60 women.
- There is no simple and reliable way to test for ovarian cancer in women who do not have any signs or symptoms. More than 160,000 women die annually from ovarian cancer.